Rajon Mykolajiw

Mykolayiv district was founded on December 6, 1966 with the centre in Mykolayiv town.

The district is located in the central part of Lviv region, the north part of the district is in Opillya (rugged and ripply plain), and its south part is within Prykarpattya boundaries. The Dniester river flows through the territory, and a lot of ponds (especially fishing ponds) adjoin the river. Mykolayiv district square is 692 km2, it is 3.2% of Lviv region territory and it forms 0.1% of the territory of Ukraine. On the district territory the town of regional importance Novy Rozdil is situated.

The population is 65.9 thousand (2003), and it forms 3.1% of Lviv region population.

Across this district from the North to the South the international roads Lviv — Uzhgorod — Budapest and Lviv — Stryi — Chernivtsi and an electrified main railway line Lviv — Stryi — Chop lie.

The district is rich for limestones, marls, quartz sand, clays for bricks producing, natural sulphur deposits. Natural gas stores are also found out there. The district is industrial and agrarian. Different industries are developed here: building materials industry, in particular — cement, facing and silicate bricks, lime, prefabricated reinforced concrete dalle, facing, road and pavement tiles, building sand, glassware, beer, soft drinks, bakery articles, meat and dairy produce, fish breeding, sugar beets, grain, potatoes and vegetables cultivation. Specialization — building and installing common and special works and transport service. In Novy Rozdil town the chemical factories are placed, and in particular they are acids and mineral fertilizers producing and machine manufacturing factories.

In the 19th century the territory was settled by the German colonists. There were settlements which do not exist now, they were given new names: Lindenfeld is called Lypivka now, Dornfeld is called Ternopillya, and the rest were just joined to other villages. In 1860 in one colonist's family in Mykolayiv a small girl called Julia Shneider was born, who is mostly famous as Ukrainian poetess Ulyana Kravchenko.

The poet Mykola Ustyjanovych and the Shukhevyches family (the first member of that family — Ivan Shukh was born in Rozvadiv village) also come from Mykolayiv district.

The most interesting and mysterious object in Mykolayiv district is a former capital of the White Croats Stilsko (VIII-IX cent.) and a big pagan sanctuary in the neighbouring village Iliv.

This is one more district which lacks tourists' attention. It is a pity, because it has a great amount of monuments, interesting sites and mineral springs.

Worth visiting:
  • Sviaty Mykolay (St. Nicholas), Myrlykiysky archbishop (1848-1874) church; Mykolayiv
  • Brewery (1892), Karmelity Polish church (1695), synagogue (19th century); Rozdil
  • Counts' Rzhevuski-Liantskoronski palace with a park (1704), Rozdil
  • S. Skarbek count's castle (1850-1875), Zaklad
  • Vozdvyzhennya Chesnoho Khresta Polish church with a wooden belfry (1750), Berezdivtsi
  • Vvedenska church with a wooden belfry (1788), Velyka Horozhanka
  • Poet Oleksandr Kozlovsky's house (1876-1898), Hirske
  • 'Kyseliv' Tarliv castle remains (15th-17th centuries), Horishnie
  • Sviaty Mykolay (St. Nicholas) church (1878), Demnya
  • Rizdvo Bohorodytsi (The Virgin Christmas) wooden church (1750); Krupske
  • Sviaty Prepodobny Illya (St. Reverend Illya) church (1809), Lubyana
  • Sviaty Mykolay (St. Nikolas) wooden church (1688) with a belfry (1713); Mala Horozhanka

Museums:
Interesting information:
One of Rozdil palaces owners — count Karl Anton Lyantskoronsky was a famous traveller and the antiquities collector. At the end of the 19th century he stealthily exported several ancient sculptures from Turkey under the mask of plaster reproductions (the layer of plaster was put on the marble). After all the wars and castle owners changes, the sculptures were saved for a wonder, because everyone believed they were cheap reproductions.

Fortuitously those art creations rescued for the posterity — at the time the manager of Lviv Art Gallery B. Voznytsky was once walking near the palace and noticed a bit of plaster seceded from one statue, and under it marble could be seen.

The sculptures are in Lviv Art Gallery now, they considerably enriched its collection of the ancient valuables. Some of them date back to the 2nd century, a bronze sculpture 'Putto with a Dolphin' is considered to be the only copy, cast from the mould of the original in the workshop of Andrea del Verrokkyo (Leonardo da Vinchi's teacher) in Florence in the XV cent.
 Important information:
Photos
mehr
 Mariä-Geburt-Kirche , Dort Krinytsia
 Mariä-Geburt-Kirche , Dort Krinytsia
Hotels, Hostels, Camping-Plätze, Kurheime
Gasthöfe, Gästezimmer
Behandlung, Spas, Saunas, Schwimmbäder
Museen
Sehenswert