TO FIGHTERS FOR FREEDOM OF UKRAINE Memorial Complex
The Memorial Complex was opened in 2005, June 19. It is placed on the territory of the former prison (1898-1963). The exposition is dedicated to all the prisoners and those who were tortured to death here.
The complex is surrounded by a forged symbolic fence (its elements resemble stretched arms of the victims) with roses symbolizing the fight and inner beauty of fighters. On the sides of the gate one can see the fragments of the wall. The windows with grating, a crown of thorns above the archway and the memorial stele impress the visitors greatly.
There is a sculptural composition "Pieta" in front of the museum building. On the background of the yard there is the Sorrow Wall. It looks like a big black cross with a bás-relief where martyrs are depicted. Nearby there is an entombment.
The watch tower of that time has been preserved. There is also a Memory Bell.
The museum exposition contains photos, documents and things presented to the museum by prisoners. They depict the history and main events in the life of prison. One can see the prisoners' names at glass stands.
The museum interior creates the atmosphere of sorrow and mental anguish.
8:30-17:30, closed on Sa.
Adults — 5 UAH;
Children — 2 UAH.
Adults — 50 UAH;
Children — 20 UAH.
Olesnytskyy St., 4
Теl.: +38 (03245) 5-84-68
How to get:
By public transport
Go by bus from bus station #3 in Lviv city or by suburban train to Stryj town. The museum is situated in the city center.
Detailed information about public transport.
Go along the road Kyiv-Lviv-Chop (Е-50/ М-06) to Stryj town. The museum is situated in the city center.