The exposition is located in a building which is recognized as an architectural monument of national value — Didushytsky Palace (late 18th century).
The history of the museum is believed to start 12 December, 1868, when that kamyanytsya (building made of stone) was bought by Count Volodymyr Didyshytsky (seller — Alfred Gaussner), a famous scientist and public figure. Before that, the owners of the building had been constantly changing, and it even had a chance to function as a casino in 1847.
In 1870 the count opened here to the public his private natural history collection, which was listed in european and other international catalogues. Didyshytsky participated in earliest World Exhibitions in Vienna (1873) and Paris (1878) winning diplomas and medals. After having been brought in order (1870), the exposition became available for tours, and later (13 August, 1871) the visitors' book was introduced. In 1873 the museum worked once a week. However, the official date of the museum's opening is thought to be 1870, when the exposition was installed for the first time and the visitors started to be welcomed.
© 2005-2023 karpaty.info
All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.