The professional organization of Galician doctors (named Ukrainian Medical Society — UMS) in Lviv was founded 1 October 1910 by the doctors O Kozakevych, Y. Ozakkevych, V. Bilynsky, S. Drymalyk, etc. The members of UMS took active part in founding and development of local medical institutions of different kinds. Moreover, the UMS was involved in the organization of the UGA and UPA Medical Services (Ukrainian Galician Army, Ukrainian Insurgent Army respectively), and establishment of the Medical Faculty of the Ukrainian Secret University in Lviv. In 1939 all the public organizations in Lviv, including the UMS, were discontinued, and only 28 April 1990 the UMS was brough back to life.
The initiative of creating the museum was supported by the local authorities. The exposition was allowed to be placed in the villa belonged to Prof. Marian Panchyshyn, where he lived from 1925 till 1943. The building itself is an architectural and historical monument of the early 20th century (architect Kazymyr Teodorovych).
© 2005-2021 karpaty.info
All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.