Worth seeing in Lviv

  • Armenian Cathedral Complex

    The Complex consists of the Armenian Cathedral (1363-1527), the bell tower (1571-1862), the palace of Armenian Archbishops (XVII-XVIII c.), the column with St. Christopher (1722), the nunnery of Armenian Benedictines (1682), the Armenian bank (XVIII c.), the wooden carved chapel "Golgotha" (XVIII с.). The Armenian Cathedral is a monument of national importance, included to UNESCO List. The oldest part of the church was built in 1363—1370. Architect Doring led the construction. Later, in 1630 the middle part of the church with baroque features was built. And the last, third part of the church that follows the oriental art, was built in 1906. The bell tower was constructed by Pietro Crasso da Lugano in 1571. The Armenian theme was used in inner ornamentation of the church, particularly in "Hachkari", the Armenian crosses, and in unique frescoes that come from that time. One is also impressed by mosaic of the cupola made to the project of J. Mehoffer, and wall-paintings performed by Jan Henryk Rosen in the Modern style. The church, the neighbouring structures and the cosy yards create the atmosphere of ancient East.
    Entrance fee: 2 UAH, children — 1 UAH. Photos — 5 UAH.
    Address: Lviv, Virmenska St., 7-9
  • Assumption Church Ensemble

    The Ensemble consists of the Virgin Mary Assumption Church (1591-1629), Kornyakt's Bell Tower (1572-1695), the Chapel of the Three Hierarchs (1578-1591). Paul Rymlyanyn (Paolo Romano) was the author of the project and manager of construction. The bell tower was built in 1572-1578. Kostyantyn Kornyakt, a rich Lviv mechant of Greek origin, gave money for the bell tower construction. That's why even nowadays it is called Kornyakt's Bell Tower. In 1578-1591 the Chapel was built near the bell tower. It became a kind of synthesis of the Renaissance style and traditional forms of Galician architecture. The Assumption church became the main Orthodox Church centre in Lviv. In 1631 it was sanctified by Petro Mohyla, the Kyiv Metropolitan.
    Address: Lviv, Pidvalna St. 9
  • Belfry of the Holy Spirit Church

    The church of Holy Spirit is an architectural monument of XVIII с. In 1939 the church was ruined by a bomb. Only the belfry with a baroque helmet had been preserved. A unique clock installed by Hetman Ivan Vyhovsky in Skit (small secluded monastery) of Manyava, was removed to the belfry at the end of XVIII с. Now there is the museum «Rusalka Dnistrova» here.
    Address: Lviv, M. Kopernik St., 36
  • The architectural complex consists of the church (1600-1630), a belfry (XVII ст.-1734), cells (1600), rotunda (1761), a memory pillar (1736), fortification walls with gateway Hlynyanska tower (1600). The complex was built out of the city area, that's why it had its own fortifications. In 1600 they started to construct the stone church of St. Andrew under the guidance of Paolo Romano. The bell-tower was built by Andreas Bemer, sculptural decoration of the facade was also done by him. The Baroque interior is decorated with numerous wooden carved altars (sculptors T. Huetter and K. Kutschenreiter). The walls are covered with fresco painting done by B. Mazurkiewicz. In front of the temple a memorial pillar was established in 1736. In monastery buildings beginning from 1783 the documents on the history of the region were kept. They put the beginning to the collection of the historical archives, existing here till now.
    Address: Lviv, Soborna Sq., 3a
  • Bohdan Khmelnytskyi Park

    It is a local monument of landscape architecture, its total area is 26 hectares.
    The park was laid in 1951, opened in 1959.
    Its central axes is a central alley as long as 800 m. Flowerbeds and fontains, greenery and footpaths were located here on the terraces.
    Tennis courts and ice rink are operated here at different times. Also there was Pelchynskyy rates (now Vitovskogo, St).
    It is still a good example of architectural adaptation to landscape and an apt use of historicism in architecture.
    In summer there is an amusement park for children and adults, concerts and art exhibitions, an open-air cinema.
    Address: Lviv
  • Boim Chapel

    The Boim Chapel is an outstanding architectural monument of the late Renaissance style. It was built during 1607-1611 as the family tomb and private church for George Boim (the merchant) family. Andrew Bemer, a well known architect, is seemed to be the author of the project. The facade of the chapel is decorated with elegant carvings, made by Jan Scholz and Ghannouch Pfister, the famous sculptors of the time. At the top one can see the figure of Christ sorrowful.
    The interior of the chapel is very interesting, too. It is famous for the carved altar at its eastern wall and beautiful decor of the dome.
    The eastern facade of the chapel (Halytska street) is decorated with fresco portraits of George Boim and Jadwiga, his wife, the northern one — with fresco images of the Virgin and the Christ, and, above them, there is a relief «George the Dragon Fighter».
    At the beginning of the XVIII c. the last of the Boim family were buried in the chapel. And in late XVIII c. the burial place was removed to the cemetery outside the city.
    Open: 10:00-18:00, closed on Mo. and during the winter period.
    Address: Lviv, Cathedralna Sq. 1
  • Botanic Garden

    Officially it was founded in 1852,when professor Giacint Lobarzewski started the botanic garden at the slope of Kalicha Hora (Hill). Here, under his guidance, an arboretum with a greenhouse and a water header collector was laid in English style. The garden was used for a research work and collecting exotic plants.
    Today the garden is famous for its collection of orchids and their hybrids. One can enjoy these beautiful flowers in the period of their blossoming.
    A new garden unit was founded in 1911. It is located in Cheremshyna street. Karl Bauer, the author of the project of Lychakiv cemetery and that of Ivan Franko park, was the gardener here at the second half of XIX  c. Thanks to his efforts and practices, the Botanic garden of Lviv National Univesity became well-known outside the country.
    Address: Lviv, Kyryla i Mefodiya St, 4
  • Capuchin Monastery

    The building of the former Latin church of St. Francis of Assisi and the cells of the Capuchin monastery decorate the street (the project of 1909, built in 1925-1929, architect J. Sas Zubrzycki). Facades are made in neo-Romanesque motifs united with elements of Renaissance. Now the church functions as the Greek-Catholic church of St. Josaphat.
    Address: Lviv, Zamarstynivska St., 134 a
  • The architectural complex contains sacral constructions of XVII-XIX с. in Baroque style with Classical elements. Nowadays it is a Greek-Catholic monastery of Studite Brethren with the church of St. Michael. The temple was built by the monk Jan Pokorovych, Italian by origin. The huge fortification walls were built at that time, too. The main vault is decorated with the paintings of Giuseppe Pedretti (30-es of XVIII c.), an Italian artist. Besides, the altars with the images of Carmelites, made by the monk Gryhory Chaykovsky, are of great interest. The original main altar, made of black and red marble, has been preserved in the church, too.
    Address: Lviv, V. Vynnychenko St. 20-22
  • Casino (Scientists' House)

    It is the best neo-Baroque structure in Lviv. It was built in 1897 for the Shlakhetske (Noble) Casino. The project was made in Vienna studio of F. Fellner and H. Helmer. In the interior one can admire the beautiful wooden stairs and inside adorning of the rooms.
    Address: Lviv, Lystopadovy Chyn St. 6
  • Chamber of Commerce and Industry Building

    The house was built in 1907-1910 for The Chamber of Commerce and Industry by architects A. Zachariewicz and T. Obminski. It is a typical administrative structure of the beginning of XX c. Besides, it is a bright example of Gesamtkunstwerk — a combination of wall painting, sculpture, stained-glass windows, mosaic and architecture. The building was constructed in Art Nouveau style with the neoclassical forms. Today the Regional Prosecutor's Office is situated here.
    Address: Lviv, T. Shevchenko Ave., 17/19
  • Church and Monastery of St. Onuphrius

    The Basilian Monastery consists of the church of St. Onuphrius (1518, 1680), a belfry (1681-1822), cells (1683), the hospital (1591), fortifications (1693), the fence (1693). It is a monument dating from the XVI-XIX c., which holds a special place in Ukrainian history and culture. The Monastery of St. Onuphrius is one of the oldest holy places in the city; a church existed at this very site already in the XIII c., during the reign of Prince Lev. Another important Ukrainian figure, Ivan Fedorovich — "printer of unprecedented books" — found refuge here in 1573. The following year, Fedorovich printed the first Ukrainian book, "Apostol" (Apostle) in the printing shop which was situated in the monastery, and which remained on the premises until 1615. Today it is a Greek-Catholic church and monastery of order of St. Basil the Great.
    Address: Lviv, B. Khemlnytsky St., 36
  • Church of Assumption of St. Anna

    The church was built in 1775. Its interior was decorated by Ivan Rutkovych iconostasis. Today one can admire two icons of the famous Galician artist. The first one — «Akathist of St. Virgin» — is exhibited in Museum of history of religion, the second — «Assumption of St. Anna» — is in the church.
    Address: Lviv, Zaozerna St., 11 (Holosko)
  • Church of Clarisse Order

    The Church of Clarisse order dates back to early XVII c. (architect Paolo Romano). But the tower of the belfry is from 1938-1938 (architect A. Lobos). The vault is decorated with M. Stroinski's murals (1670). Nowadays the premises of the church are occupied by an educational establishment and J. G. Pinzel Sculpture Museum.
    Address: Lviv, Lychakivska St., 2
  • Church of Mary of the Snows

    The church was founded by German colonists, who had settled in Lviv during the reign of King Danylo and Prince Lev in XIII c. The Church of Mary of the Snows was a parochial institution until the Cathedral was built in the new centre of the city. In 1888-1892 the church was completely restored by Julian Zakharievych the neo-Romantic style. One can see frescoes dating from 1893 attributed to Edvard Lepszy. Today, it is the Church of Virgin Mary’s Assistance of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church.
    Address: Lviv, Snizhna St., 2
  • Church of St. Anthony

    The church of St. Anthony is a Roman-Catholic church, blessed in 1739. In 1765 architector F. Kulchytsky built up the pediment, which finally gave Baroque forms to the facade. The stone bell tower was built in 1818. The figure of the Virgin at the stairs is a typical sample of Lviv Baroque style (architect S. Fesinger). In interior the late Gothic icon «The Virgin with Christ and St. Anna» (ca 1520) is the most valuable item.
    Address: Lviv, Lychakivska St., 49-a
  • Church of St. Elizabeth

    The former Roman-Catholic church of St. Elizabeth was designed by Polish architect Teodor Talowski, in the neo-Gothic style, and it was constructed in 1911. The church was decorated by the best Lviv masters of the time, but its interior has not been preserved. The idea of its erection appeared soon after tragical death of Austrian Empress Elizabeth, known as Sisi. Since 1991 it has been the Greek-Catholic church of St. Olha and St. Elizabeth.
    Address: Lviv, M. Kropyvnytsky Sq. 1
  • Church of St. John the Baptist

    The Church of St. John the Baptist is one of the oldest in Lviv. It comes from XIII century. In 1886 the church was rebuilt in pseudo-Romanesque style by architect J. Zachariewicz. Nowadays the building houses Museum of the Oldest Lviv Monuments.
    Address: Lviv, Stary Rynok Sq.
  • Church of St. Kaziemerz

    The church of St. Kaziemerz is an architectural monument of XVII с. Its decoration is simple though influenced by the artistic image of the church the Gesu in Rome. Today it is the church of Blissful Klymentiy Sheptytsky of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic church. The church houses the exhibition of sacral art museum.
    Address: Lviv, M. Kryvonos St., 1
  • Church of St. Martin

    The former church of St. Martin (1736) with cells and bell tower (second half of XVIII с.) is a good sample of mature Baroque. The temple's interior was decorated with J. Majer's and S. Stroinsky's frescoes. In 1990-ies the buildings were given to Protestant community.
    Address: Lviv, Zhovkivska St., 8
  • Church of St. Mary Magdalene

    The Roman Catholic church of St. Mary Magdalene (1609-1612, 1758, 1890) was built for the Dominican Order. The church and monastery were rebuilt in 1758 with an extended nave and new Baroque facade by Martin Urbanik. In 1932 organ, produced by the Czech Brothers Rieger workshop, was installed here. Nowadays an House of organ and chamber music is situated in it.
    Address: Lviv, S. Bandera St., 10
  • Church of St. Nicholas

    The church of St. Nicholas is the the Orthodox church. It is one of the oldest building in Lviv, a striking model of ancient Ukrainian architecture of XIII c. It is believed that this church was the princely court’s place of worship. The princes of Galicia-Volhynia attended liturgies in this church and were buried here. The church takes pride in the beautiful icon of St. Nicholas, the Miracle Worker, and the icon of St. Theodor. The frescoes on the main facade were painted by the artist Petro Kholodny, Senior in the 1920ies.
    Address: Lviv, B. Khemlnytsky St., 28
  • Church of St. Paraskeva Pyatnytsia

    The Church of St. Paraskeva Pyatnytsia is the Orthodox one, a lovely architectural monument of ancient Lviv, dating from the XVII c. The interior of the Church of St. Paraskeva has been well preserved. It holds the most important monument of ancient Ukrainian art — the iconastasis created by talented Lviv master craftsmen at the beginning of the XVII c.
    Address: Lviv, B. Khemlnytsky St., 77
  • Church of St. Peter and Paul

    The church appeared as a roadside chapel in 1660. It was partly reconstructed in 1798 by architect S. Fesinger. The bell tower was also constructed at that time. There is an icon «Christ gives the key to St. Peter» (Luka Dolynsky) on the facade. Two stone figures of St. Peter and Paul (XIX c.) decorate the entrance. The iconostasis made by Luka Dolynsky has been preserved in the church. Today it is the Autocephalous Orthodox Church of St. Peter and Paul.
    Address: Lviv, Lychakivska St., 82
  • Church of St. Sophia

    The Roman-Catholic church of St. Sophia was constructed during 1760-s on the area which belonged to Sophia Hanel who possessed a house at Rynok square. In 1864 the church was rebuilt. Its facade was decorated with statues of St. Sophia and those of her daughters Vira, Nadiya and Liubov (sculptor P. Eutele). Nowdays it is a Greek-Catholic church of St. Sophia.
    Address: Lviv, I. Franko St. 121
  • Church of St. Trinity

    This sacral monument is the only wooden church of XVII c. in Lviv. It was built in 1654. The wall paintings inside the church appeared in 1683. The church is famous by its beautiful ancient interior. In 1932 it was under restoration. Since 1971 it is shingle-roofed. Today it is a Greek-Catholic church.
    Address: Lviv, Maydanna St. 6 (Sychiv)
  • Church of the Jesuits

    Church of Jesuits (1610-1630) is the Roman-Catholic Church of St. Peter and Paul of the Jesuits order. Giacopo Briano was its architect. He brought the first breath of Baroque with him to Lviv. In the church building he included the forms of Roman Church of the Gesù. Those forms became typical for buildings of Baroque period. In 1740 the sound reconstruction was held. At that time fresco wall paintings appeared executed by Francisk and Sebastian Eckstein, artists from Morava. There are a lot of works of decorative sculptures (XVIII-XIX c.) in interior of the church.
    From the Northern side the former Jesuit collegium adjoins the temple. In 1661 it became the school of university level. Bohdan Khmelnytsky, the future Hetman of Ukraine, studied here.
    Address: Lviv, Teatralna St., 11
  • Church of Transfiguration

    The largest church in Lviv — church of Transfiguration of the Lord or the church of Transfiguration — was constructed in 1875-1898 (the author of the project — architect S. Havryshkevych). It took the place of the former Catholic church and monastery of Trinitarian Order (The Order of the Holy Trinity). In 1783 the order was abolished, and its buildings were given for the university and the library. But in 1848 the buildings were burnt down. In a few years the church of Transfiguration was built on the place of the former library. Its interior is richly decorated by sculptures (author L. Marconi) and paintings (authors K. Ustyyanovych, T. Popel and others). The icon «Transfiguration of God» was made by Theophil Kopystynsky.
    Address: Lviv, Krakivska, 21
  • In 1430 a little storage of arms appeared here to strengthen the city defence. The modern building of City Arsenal was built in 1574-1577 under the guidance of builder Jan Lys on city's means. It was built of stone blocks with small window loop-holes as a typical fortification construction. Since 1981 a large collection of ancient arms is kept and exhibited here. It is the single museum of arms in Ukraine.
    Address: Lviv, Pidvalna St. 5
  • Complex of St. George Cathedral

    The architectural complex consists of St. George Cathedral (1744-1770), the Palace of metropolitans (1772), chapter house (1738-1774), bell tower (1828), gates with a fence (1765-1780), the Northern building (1866), stables (1777), the well «At the Market» (1772). St. George Cathedral is a pearl of European art in baroque style (architect B. Meretini, sculptor J.-G. Pinsel). Its interior impresses by elegant ornaments in rococo style. The most valuable is the Icon of Virgin Mary from Terebovlya (XVII с.). At the basements there are sarcophagi of prominent figures of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church. Today the Cathedral is considered to be the main one for Ukrainian Greek Catholics.
    Address: Lviv, St. George Sq., 5
  • Conventual Franciscans Monastery

    At the beginning of XVIII с. Elizabeth Sofia Sieniavska, the wife of Adam Sieniawski, a Polish noble, military leader, bought an area for the building of the church and the monastery of Capuchins. The structures were built in 1730. Later, in 1787 the complex was given to Franciscans. The picture of St. Roch, the patron of artists and protector against epidemic, in the chapel is of great interest. It was painted by Martino Altomonte, the court artist of Jan III Sobieski. In 1946 Franciscans left Lviv. An army unit was located in the complex premises, later — a boarding school. In 1990-es the complex was partly bought by the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
    Address: Lviv, V. Korolenko St., 1
  • «Dnister» Building

    The building is a prominent example of Ukrainian Art Nouveau style. It was built in 1905 by architect I. Levynski, and it is richly decorated with ceramics, stucco-moulding and metal, resembling Boiko churches. It was erected for «Dnister» insurance company, Ukrainian leagues and organizations. There is a little hall in the house on the stage of which the future producer and actor Les Kurbas has appeared for the first time.
    Address: Lviv, Ruska St., 20
  • Dominican Monastery

    The complex consists of the former Roman-Catholic Dominican church (1749-1764), cells (1556-1778) and a bell tower (1865). It is an architectural monument of Baroque style included to the UNESCO list. It was the Roman-Catholic Dominican church till World War II. In soviet period the museum of religion and atheism was situated here. The construction of the church began in 1749 (author of the project Jan de Witte). Its facade was finished by Sebastian Fesinger. His sculptures are preserved in the interior. Nowadays it is the Ukrainian Greek Catholic church of the Holy Eucharist. Museum of history of religion is situated in the former monastery now.
    Address: Lviv, Muzeyna, 1
  • Dzieduszycki Palace

    The count W. Dzieduszycki, a well-known zoologist, ethnographer and archaeologist, had bought a neglected house of XVIII c. and rebuilt it as a palace in Empire style. In 1870 the count founded the Natural History Museum in the building. Soon it became one of the richest in scientific naturalistic funds among the museums of Europe. In 1890 Dzieduszycki presented the building together with the museum to the city. For the last 20 years the building has been under the reconstruction which ended in 2011.
    Address: Lviv, Teatralna St., 18
  • Galicia Savings Bank Building

    It is one of the best buildings in the Freedom avenue. It was built in 1891 by architect J. Zachariewicz for Galician Savings Bank. The building has a beautiful facade topped with L. Marconi's sculptural group "Thrift". The vestibule with the statue "Fortune" by J. Markowski and the beautiful staircase deserve attention. Today it is Museum of ethnography and arts crafts.
    Address: Lviv, Svoboda Ave. 15
  • Galician Seym Building

    The former Galician Seym (Parliament) was constructed in 1877-1881 in the very popular at that time style of Vienna neo-Renaissance (architect J. Hochberger). Near the entrance one can see two big allegoric compositions "Education" and "Labour". Above on the attic there is a decorative scuptural group "the Guardian Spirit of Galicia". The author is T. Rygier. Since 1919 the University has been here.
    Address: Lviv, Universytetska St. 1
  • George Hotel

    It is one of the oldest working hotels in Ukraine. It was founded in 1793 by George Hoffmann. The present building of the hotel was built in 1900. It was designed by Vienna architects H. Helmer and F. Fellner. Four corner allegory statues of Europe, Asia, America, Africa, as well as «St. George» bas-relief decorate the hotel. They were executed by A. Popiel according to L. Marconi's models. The original stucco work and banisters have been preserved in the interior.
    Address: Lviv, A. Mitskevych Sq. 1/2
  • The Gunpowder Tower is the single of the type which has been preserved. It was built in 1554-1556. Its name tells of its function: gunpowder, accountrements were kept there. Since 1956 the House of Architects has been in the tower.
    Address: Lviv, Pidvalna St., 4
  • The High Castle (Vysokyi Zamok) is the name of the highest hill that rises above Lviv. This very hill was looked out by Galicia princes for fortress building. Time passed, and the fortress fell into decay. Erecting a burial-mound in honour of Lublin Union in 1869-1900 finally destroyed the fortress. Today only the fragment of the fortification wall reminds about the fortress. And on the top of the erected hill there is a sightseeing ground.
    The Vysoky zamok Park was founded in 1835. It was the time of planting of trees and shrubs in the area of the hill. In 1845 a decorative grotto was constructed on the lower terrace of the park. Near the grotto the sculptures of lions (sculptor V. Dykembosh) that decorated the old City Hall were put. The lions hold the shields with coats-of-arms of Lviv famous families.
    Address: Lviv, Vysoky Zamok (High Castle)
  • High Castle Park

    It is a local landscaping monument. The park was founded in 1835 at the slopes of the Castle (or Prince's) Hill. Its total area is 36,2 hectares.
    It consists of two terraces. There is a gardener's house, a memory sign in honour of Maxym Kryvonis (one of Cossacks leaders), a restaurant and an observation point on the lower terrace of the park. On the upper terrace there is a man-made burial mound with an observation platform (413 m above sea level). It was dedicated to the 300th anniversary of Liublin union and was filled up in 1869—1900 by Polish community. There is also a fragment of the High Castle fortification wall. Lviv television centre with the tower (192 m) is located here, too.
    In the park deciduous species prevail: chesnut tree, maple, sycamore maple, ash tree, lime tree, etc.
    Address: Lviv, Zamkova Sr.
  • Ivan Franko Park

    It is one of the oldest parks in Eastern Europe, the first public park in Ukraine. It occupies the area of 11,6 hectares.
    At the end of XVI c. a rich citizen John Scholz-Volfovich laid the park here. To do this he laid out 1600 gold coins from his purse.
    Over time, this park and neighboring lands became the property of Jesuits. The Jesuits had built brick buildings, and already in 1715 they started to build a brewery and an inn. At the end of XVIII c., when the Jesuit Order was abolished, this area became the property of the Austrian government.
    In 1919 the park was named in honor of the Polish national hero Tadeusz Kosciuszko, but most people called it Jesuit garden for a long time.
    Today in the park one can see plantation of trees of different periods. But the main stand of trees comes from 1855 and 1890. Though one can meet here more ancient species, three mighty giant oaks, for example (their age is more than three centuries). There are also alien crops in the park, most of them are located nearby the gardener's house.
    The Street University events take place in the park area. There is a children's playground and sometimes brass band concerts.
    Address: Lviv
  • Latin Cathedral

    It is the main Roman-Catholic temple in Lviv. Its first stone was laid by Kazimierz III the Great in 1349. Craftsman Niczko started building circa 1350. Hans Blecher finished it in 1493. The restoration of the temple was held in the middle of XVIII с. under the guidance of architect Piotr Polejowski in baroque style. From Gothic through Renaissance, Baroque and Classicism to Modern style proceeded the Latin Cathedral. But Gothic style prevails, especially in interior. During its existence a lot of altars and chapels appeared around it. The most valuable that had been preserved are the Kampians Chapel (1619) and the Boims Chapel (1609-1615).
    Entrance fee: 3 UAH.
    Address: Lviv, Cathedralna Sq., 1
  • Lubomirski Palace

    It is a corner building on Rynok square which has three facades and consists of several successfully connected buildings. In 1760 Stanislaw Lubomirski invited Jan de Witte, the famous architect, who in 1763 turned some houses into one big palace. Building and decorative work was led by Marcin Urbanik and Sebastian Fesinger. In 1772-1821 the building was the residence of Austrian governor of Galicia. Later, in 1895 the «Prosvita» Society bought the palace. Since 1975 the building houses the exhibition from the funds of Museum of ethnography and arts crafts.
    Address: Lviv, Rynok Sq., 10
  • The scheme of the Citadel as a part of future fortification of Lviv was worked out in the Austrian Ministry of Defence in 1849-1850 (architects Ch. Ressig and J. Vondruschka). The period of building is 1852-1856. The complex consists of the former barracks with towers and four bastions. The military history of the complex ended in 1990-es. Today offices of various organizations are located here.
    Address: Lviv, Citadel Hill
  • Перші укріплення середмістя були здійснені у XIII-XIV ст. Вони постійно видозмінювались, під впливом зміни та вдосконалення зброї, а також умов, які диктувало те чи інше століття. Фортифікації Львова відігравали не лише оборонну функцію, їх пишність та оздоблення вказували на багатсво міста. А також мури були своєрідним соціальним бар'єром, який відділяв жителів середмістя, які мали право на самоврядування, від жителів передмістя, які були позбавлені цього права.
    Після шведського погрому, Львів поступово втрачав обороноздатність — через недофінансування оборонні споруди руйнувались. Однак деякі з них збереглись і до наших часів. На вулицях міста можна побачити не лише фрагменти оборонних споруд, а й майже повністю збережені об'єкти.
    Address: Lviv
  • Lychakiv Cemetery

    Личаківський цвинтар — один з найвеличніших європейських некрополів, заснований у 1786 р. Загальна площа — 42 га, на якій розміщено понад 400 тисяч поховань. На території кладовища збережені скульптури й архітектурні споруди відомих майстрів Європи. Чимало скульптурних композицій некрополя створив Гартман Вітвер, ландшафтом займався Карл Бауер.
    Тут поховані: письменник Іван Франко, співачка Соломії Крушельницька, основоположник нової української літератури в Галичині Маркіян Шашкевич, відомий композитор нової музики Василь Барвінський та багато інших видатних постатей історії та культури України.
    З 1991 р. цвинтар набув статусу музею.

    Address: Lviv, Pekarska St., 95
  • Lychakiv Park

    It was laid in 1894. Arnold Rohring (the author of Stryisky Park) took part in it. It occupies the area of 12,36 hectares.
    There are several observation grounds here with panorama of Lychakivska street, park Pohulianka and green hills of "Shevchenkivsky Hay".
    The park is very calm and it rather resembles a forest.
    In the park, not far from Lychakiv street, there is a monument to B. Glowacki, a national Polish hero, erected in 1905.
    The park plantation consists of Austrian pine, maple acutifoliate, sycamore maple and chesnut tree.
    There is also a sports centre of Lviv National University here and a playground.
    Address: Lviv
  • Main Railway Station

    The building itself is a relic of engineer and artistic thought of the early XX c. (architect W. Sadlowski, 1899-1903). Besides the portal there are allegorical statues — "Trade" and "Industry" (sculptor A. Popiel), and at the top there are sculptures by P. Wojtowicz symbolizing Lviv and Rail traffic. Passenger halls were rebuilt in 1946-1951 in the style of "Stalin Empire".
    Address: Lviv, Dvirtseva Sq., 1
  • Museum of Crafts

    The building of the former Museum of Crafts is a typical sample of the late neo-Renaissance. It was built in 1898-1903 (architects L. Marconi and Y. Janovsky). The adornment executed by A. Popiel and M. Parashchuk has been preserved in the interior. Nowadays the exposition of Lviv National Muuseum is situated here.
    Address: Lviv, Svoboda Ave. 20
  • Nunnery of Carmelites Sisters Barefooted

    The former church and nunnery of Carmelites sisters barefooted were built on the area given by the parents of the future Polish King — Jan III Sobieski. The project of the stone building was done by G. B. Gisleni. The construction lasted during period of 1644-1692. The facade is presented in the forms of mature Baroque. The church and the nunnery acted till 1946. It was later used as a metrology office. The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church of the Presentation of Our Lord is now situated here. In the interior two side altars made by sculptor P. Voitovych are of great interest, either are wall paintings of J. H. Rosen in the chapel adjoining the church.
    Address: Lviv, V. Vynnychenko St. 30
  • Nunnery of Order of Saint Benedict

    The architectural complex consists of the church of All Saints (1595), the monastery building (1595-1627), stone walls with a gate (XVII с.). The former Roman-Catholic church is nowadays a Greek-Catholic church of All Saints which belongs to the nunnery of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin. It was built at the end of the XVI с. by the famous Lviv master Paolo Romano. Lately it was rebuilt and reconstructed by Jan Pokorovych (1627) and Martin Urbanik (1748). The tower was topped with a wonderful stone attic, its tidy forms relate the tower to the best samples of Lviv Renaissance. Today the activities of nuns is resumed. They are occupied with embroidery, weaving and Ukrainian pysanky making. There is a school of St. Sophia in the nunnery building, very popular among children.
    Address: Lviv, Vicheva St., 2
  • Nunnery of Sacramentarians

    The architectural ensemble of the former Roman-Catholic church and nunnery of Sacramentarians is a monument of the late Baroque. The church was built in 1743-1780 according to the project of B. Meretyn (Bernard Merettiner). The building of the nunnery was built at the same time. Twice the church was reconstructed in 1881-1887 and 1902-1904. And features of Pseudo-Baroque appeared together with a new altar made by sculptor P. Viytovych. Nowadays it is a Greek-Catholic church of St. Trinity.
    Address: Lviv, Tershakovtsiv St. 11
  • Old University Building

    The old building of University is authentically beautiful. This severe construction was erected in 1839-1844 (architect F. Stadler) as a house of Jesuit boarding school for noble youth. Later, the building was given to the city. I. Franko, A. Pashkevych have studied here. M. Hrushevsky, S. Banach and V. Sobolev worked as teachers here, too. Today the building houses Biology and Geology Faculties.
    Address: Lviv, M. Hrushevsky St., 4
  • Opera House

    Lviv Opera House Building is one of the most prominent buildings of the kind in Europe. It was built in 1897-1900 according to the project of architect Z. Gorgolewski in Vienna neo-Renaissance style. The building of the theatre intrigues with its sculptural and picturesque richness. Its pediment is topped with copper statues by P. Wojtowicz: Glory — in the center, the Genius of Drama and Comedy — on the left, Genius of Music — on the right. Below the pediment there is the bas-relief composition by A. Popiel "Joys and Sufferings of Life". The interior is called "The small art gallery" because of its rich decoration. The so-called Hall of Mirrors is widely-known. The decorative stage curtain "Parnasus" by H. Siemiradzki, a well-known artist-academician, is the stage adornment. It can be seen at first-night performances.
    Address: Lviv, Svoboda Ave. 28
  • Ossolineum Institute

    The Ossolineum Institute included a library and a museum. It was founded by J. Ossolinski on the base of the former nunnery. The construction began in 1827 according to the project of architect P. Nobile. Later the project was changed a little, the construction was finished in 1851. This architectural monument is one of the best examples of Lviv classicism. Nowadays the building houses the Library named after V. Stefanyk of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
    Address: Lviv, V. Stefanyk St., 2
  • Piarists Collegium

    The Piarists Collegium was founded as a boarding school for noble youth. The construction of the building started in 1750. In 1763-1776 F. Kulchytsky, the Lviv architect guided the construction. The architectural monument is a majestic building in the forms of classicizing Baroque. Today it is the main body of the Regional Clinical Hospital.
    Address: Lviv, Nekrasov St., 2
  • It is the only authentic Renaissance Square that was preserved in Ukraine. It was formed in the end of XVI - beg. XVII с., when the Renaissance was the leading architectural style. The Square Ensemble contains 45 buildings-monuments of architecture. The widely-known are: №1 — City Hall (Ratusha, 1827-1851), №2 — Bandinelli Palace (end XVI с. — 1750), №4 — Blackstone Palace (1588-1677, 1884), №6 — Kornyakt Palace (Royal Palace, 1580), №14 — Venetian Stone Building (named in honor of its owner, Venetian consul Antonio Massari, 1589 - XIX с.). Rynok Square is ornamented by fountains "Adonis", "Diana", "Neptune" and "Amphitrite" (1793), sculptured by well known artist Hartman Witwer. The whole Rynok square Ensemble with nearest streets was included to the World Heritage List of UNESCO in 1998.
    One can have the square view from above when having gone upstairs the tower through the main entrance of the City Hall (open 9:00-18:00).
    Address: Lviv, Rynok Sq.
  • Pohulianka

    The park is located between such streets as Pasichna, Washington and Zelena and Pohulianka quarter. This quarter consists mainly of residential houses built in 1920-1930ies. The nothern part of the park is bordered by Botanical garden of Lviv University.
    The total square is 100,33 ha. The central part of the park is Pasika (The Apiary) flow which is the source of the Poltva river and the main alley which leads from Pohulianka street to Pasichna and Washington streets.
    In the park there are such tree species as birch, maple, sycamore maple and hornbeam but the most widespread are natural plantations of beech.
    The park was founded in 1810. At that time the owner of this place was a famous patron and advocate Franciszek Venhlinsky. He built a small palace and planted the hill with beech on Pohulianka. So locals began to call this place "Venhlinsky's Forest", but the owner came up with a new name which he "borrowed" from Vilnius city.
    In the middle of the 19th century the park with the whole quarter was bought by Yan Klein. He drained a park pond and built a brewery instead. Later there was opened a famous restaurant. During that time the park wasn't treated with a proper attention and it slowly turned into a forest. From 1948 there are a winery instead of the brewery.
    In 1984 was built palace on Pohulianka, nowadays there is the Centre for Children and Youth which has a tramline. Behind the Palace's building there are remains of an older water intake system called «Prybylo» (1839) with mermaid carvings.
    There are walking trails around the park. In its lower part decorative ponds are arranged.
    Address: Lviv
  • Potocki Palace

    The palace was built in 1880 according to the project of Louis de Verny, the French architect. It was modified a little by Julian Tsybulski and built instead a little mansion of Alfred Potocki. The building is an example of French classicism. Petro Harasymovych and Leonardo Marconi are considered to be the authors of beautiful stucco work which decorates the Palace. In Soviet period the palace itself was adapted for holding wedding ceremonies. In 2000-s it was given to Lviv Art Gallery.
    Address: Lviv, M. Kopernik St. 15
  • Public Garden «On the Ramparts»

    It is the second park by age in Lviv with the area of 1,9 hectares.
    In 1821 one of Lviv counsellors founded a park with footpaths and a suspension bridge. Trees and ornamental bushes typical for that time were planted there: chestnut tree, maple, lime tree, ash, acacia, birch, lilac, guelder rose, etc.
    A new public walk was called «Hubernatorski valy» (The ramparts of the Governor).
    After World War II the captured German military equipment was exhibited at the northern part of the park (near the Gunpowder Tower). That's why it is called «Trofejka» (Trophy) even nowadays.
    Address: Lviv, Pidvalna St.
  • Roman Catholic Church of St. Nicholas

    The Roman Catholic Church of St. Nicholas was built in 1739-1745. Its interior is decorated by beautiful stucco moulding, wooden carving and sculptures. The wooden sculptures in altar-space are masterpieces of S. Fesinger. The valuable art monument is the altar of Scholz-Wolfowiczs, made circa 1595. In 1853 Lviv university was located near the church. Today it is an Orthodox church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin. In the former monastery the biological faculty of Lviv university is situated.
    Address: Lviv, M. Hrushevsky St., 2
  • The Royal Arsenal is a Baroque military structure. It was built in 1639 under the guidance of engineer Pawel Grodzicki on means of the King. That's why it was named Royal. Here the smelting-house where bells and guns were founded, was also located. Nowadays documents of Lviv Regional Archives are kept there.
    Address: Lviv, Pidvalna St. 13
  • Sapieha Palace

    The Sapieha Palace was built according the project of Adolf Kun in 1867 in neo-Renaissance style. The house's first owner was Prince Adam Sapieha, a pioneer of railway building in Galicia. At present it is home to a regional society for preservation of historical and architectural monuments.
    Address: Lviv, M. Kopernik St., 40 а
  • Sieniawski Arsenal

    It is the former arsenal of the Sieniawski family. The arsenal was built in 1630 by general of artillery Pawel Grodzicki. In the XIX c. it belonged to the Czartoryski family, and later was purchased by the Baworowski family. The new owners redecorated the building, turning it in 1830 into a palace. Count Wiktor Baworowski was a great admirer of literature, and translator of works of Lord Byron and Victor Hugo. Baworowski had a large collection of artworks, and a private library of some 60,000 volumes. In 1877 the library was removed to the palace. Since 1900 the library becomes a public one and gets the name «the Baworowski Library». In 2006 the restoration of the buildig came to the end. Money was given by O. and T. Antonovych. Now the Palace of Arts named after O. and T. Antonovych is located here.
    Address: Lviv, Bibliotechna St. 2
  • St. Lazarus Monastery and Hospital

    The church and Hospital of St. Lazarus were built in 1630-1640 according to the project of Ambrosius Przychylny. The church with hospital surrounded by stone walls is of pronounced defence character. The complex is a sample of late Renaissance building. Down there is an ancient well decorated by stone figures of lions (XVII с.). For several centuries crippled and poor people took refuge at the hospital. In the XX c. the house of the aged people was situated here. The buildings were reconstructed in 1989. Nowadays the premises of «Dudaryk», the folk children's choir, are located here.
    Address: Lviv, V. Kopernik St., 27
  • It is the largest and the most beautiful park in Lviv. It is also considered to be one of the best landscape parks in Europe (known in Japan as well). Stryjsky Park is a national monument of landscape architecture. It is located in the place named Sofiivka.
    The park was founded in 1876-1877. The author of the project was Arnold Rohring, an Austrian landscape designer and architect.
    The park territory (56 hectares) is divided into three landscape units: the lower zone, park area, upper terrace (the place of the former «Oriental Auctions» annually held here since 1922).
    Stryisky Park is famous for its various collection of plants (more than 200 species), greenhouse and two alleys — of plane-trees and that of lime-trees.
    Besides, the pond with white swans adds to the park's beauty greatly.
    There is a single monument here — a monument to Jan Kilinski, a national Polish hero (1894, arch. J. Markovski, restored in 2009).
    There is also one big summer attraction for children in the park — Lviv Children's Railway and a cinema.
    Address: Lviv
  • Technical academy

    Lviv National Polytechnical University is the oldest technical educational institution in Ukraine, founded in 1844 as technical academy. The modern main building of the University was erected in 1874-1877 by architect J. Zachariewicz in the neo-Renaissance style. The attic is completed by a sculptural group by L. Marconi's chisel. There are two rooms, richly decorated in the interior — the Assembly Hall and the library. The Assembly Hall is famous for its decorative panels, reflecting the main moments of the development of the mankind (made according to J. Matejko's sketches). The library can boast of bookcases with sculptures carved in wood (sculptors L. Marconi, T. Sokulski). In 2000 the institution got the status of National University. More than 33 thousand students study here.
    Address: Lviv, S. Bandera St., 12
  • Theatre of Skarbek Building

    The building was constructed on the money of the count S. Skarbek in 1837-1842. The authors of the project were A. Pichl and J. Salzmann. The theater was built in the style of Vienna Classicism. Nowadays the National Academical Ukrainian drama theater named after M. Zankovetska is located here.
    Address: Lviv, L. Ukrainka St., 1
  • Vice-Regency Building

    The building is an interesting example of an administrative structure in Austria-Hungarian period. It was built in 1870-1878 (architects F. Ksienzharski and S. Gavryshkevych) in the style of Vienna neo-Ranaissance. Decorative and ornamental works, and the main staircases were made according to L. Marconi's project. Nowadays the Regional Administration is located here.
    Address: Lviv, V. Vynnychenko St., 18
  • It is one of the first regional landscape parks in Ukraine, founded within the city borders. «Znesinnya» is very interesting from the historic point of view. It occupies the area of 312,1 hectares. It is divided into the following zones: protected one, that of regulated recreation, zone of stationary recreation and administrative and supply section. One of the most prominent historic and cultural monuments is situated here — Sсansen "Shevchenkivskyi Gai".
    Address: Lviv