The name of
Verkhovyna village till 1962 was Zhabye.
It is located on the Chorny Cheremosh river (Cheremosh's tributary), 31 km from Vorokhta railway station. Its population is 5,9 thousand.
The first mention of Zhabye village dates back to 1424, when the village together with the monastery by the Rybnytsya river
(now it is Kosiv town) was given by the Lithuanian prince Svydryhaylo as a gift to the local rich man
Vlad Drahosymovych. Here is a legend, that the first settler in the valley of the Chorny Cheremosh river was Zhabka.
This is where the name Zhabye comes from. According to another version, in the marshland of the river there were lots of toads
(Zhabye can be translated as Toads').
The information on the region is kindly provided by Vasyl Kobylyuk