The castle is located on the 68 m high hill of volcano origin. It occupies about 14 thousand m2 and consists of three parts placed on three terraces. The oldest High castle (XIV-XVI с.) is at the top of the hill; the Middle (XVII с.) is at the terrace 6 m lower, and the Low castle (XVII с.) is still 10 m lower than the Middle castle is. At the beginning of the XVIII с. the fortification tower was built on the forth terrace, still 10 m lower. At the same time the road to the castle at the west hillside was built, too. This road has been preserved till nowadays, and the tower became ruined at the beginning of the XX с., only its base remained. In 1396 the fortress became the living quarters. The moat, fortified by wooden paling — palanok, was digged up in the XVI с. The modern castle's name comes from that wooden paling, palanok.
The history department expositions are placed in the halls of the High castle. Here the rare items of the Stone and Copper-Bronze Age, found during the archaeological excavations in the region, are exhibited. The museum's ethnographic collection is of great interest too.