The Dominican church and monastery were built in 1749-1779 in the late Baroque style. It was designed by A. Moshchynsky. The interior of the church decorated with altars, paintings, sculpture and stone carving has not survived. In 1820-1901 the temple was given to the Jesuits, and the monastery cells housed the gymnasium. After the restoration of 1908-1910 the central dome was changed and the organ was placed.
During the Second World War the church was badly damaged, it was renovated in 1959 and became a storehouse of theatrical scenery. In 1978-1986 it served as the art gallery.
The Cathedral received its present name in 1991, and now it is a 'visiting card' of the city. In the monastery premises the State Archives are located now. In 2004 a monument to Cardinal Yosyp Slipy was erected at the entrance.
The church is an example of architecture typical for Podillia. It was built during 1602-1608 on the place of a wooden church. Thick walls confirm its defensive character. The Kamenetska gate tower was located just nearby in the XVI c.
In 1709 the second tier was added to the church. And the upper floor began to serve as the Greek-Catholic church of the Holy Trinity, and the lower one became the Orthodox church of the Nativity.
The church got its modern look in 1936-1937. During the restoration of 1956 its dome had been modified. The newest construction of the complex, the Gate tower appeared in 1996.
The church keeps the miraculous icon of Our Lady. A legend says that Bohdan Khmelnytsky prayed in the church during the liberation movement.
The Temple was built on the place of a wooden church during the period of the XV - early XVI c. It was firstly mentioned in 1570. The church tower that first catches the eye was built in 1627. For several times the church was under restoration. In the Soviet period, for more than 30 years, the church was closed. Part of the authentic icons of the church iconostasis is now displayed in the local museum.
In old times Lviv Gate tower was situated near the church that had a defensive character.
On April 15, 1540 Jan Tarnavskyj, a Cracow magnate, recieved a permission to build a fortress from Sigismund I, a Polish King. Then the construction of the fortress began in Sopilche (Topilche) tract. On three sides the fort was protected by swamps and a pond, and on the side of the city there was a dry moat with an earthen rampart and oak palisade.
Plenty of people found refuge here during the Turkish-Tatar invasions (in 1575, 1589, 1672). The old fortress was rebuilt at the end of the XVII c. In early XIX c. it was rebuilt into a palace, which became the center of cultural life in Ternopil. At that time on the southern side a New Castle was built.
During the Russian rule (1810-1815) there was a casino here, and the city balls were organized.
In 1944 the old castle was destroyed. In 1951 it was reconstructed as the Palace of Sports. The New castle was never reconstructed. Ternopil hotel is located now on its place.