Halych district

It is located within two physiographic areas — the Ukrainian Carpathians and the southwestern part of the East European Plain. About 8% of the territory is occupied by lakes, ponds and rivers (among them there is one of the largest in Europe — the Dnister).

The district centre is the ancient city of Halych. The first account about it can be found in the chronicles (899), although some archaeologists suppose that the city appeared in the middle of the 10th century. The former centre of the annalistic city of Halych is located 6 km far from the today's city in the village of Krylos on the mountain of the same name.

The greatest prosperity of Halych as a city and an administrative centre was during the reign of Yaroslav Osmomysl (1153-1187) mentioned in 'The Tale of Igor's Campaign'. In 1241, the city was destroyed by the Mongol invasion, after that King Daniel of Galicia moved the capital to the city of Kholm. The ancient city remained the Residence of the Bishop, and soon a new city was built under the hill at the mouth of the Dnister River.

In 1367, Halych got Magdeburg rights. In the same year, a wooden castle was built, and in the 16th century — the stone one, its ruins are visible even now. The National Reserve "Ancient Halych" has been recently created, covering the lands of the ancient city and its suburbs.

The villages of Bovshiv (1153), Dytiatyn (1424) and Medyn (1441) belong to the most ancient settlements of the district.

In the district, a lot of churches of XVIІІ-ХІХ cent. were preserved. In one of them — the Church of St. Nicholas (Viktoriv village) — the scenes of the movie 'Viy' were filmed.

The most famous industrial object of the district is Burshtyn TES (a coal-fired power plant) near which there is the largest reservoir of the oblast that is popularly known as the Burshtyn Sea. The water here doesn't freeze even in severe frosts, and you can always see a lot of fishermen on the shores. A lot of interesting kinds of birds from the North winter here. You can observe them in the company of specialists of National Park "Halytsky".

In the urban village of Bilshivtsi, there are such mineral springs as "Chyste Dzherelo" ("Clean Spring"), "Zacharovana Khrystyna" ("Enchanted Khrystyna"), "Nasha Voda" ("Our Water"), "Mirelli" and "Kniazha Krynytsia" ("Prince's Well"). By their natural mineralization, these waters belong to the diversity of table water and are recommended for drinking as well as cooking by Ukrainian Scientific-Research Institute of Medical Rehabilitation and Balneology. The low mineralization level of water allows to drink it on a daily basis.

Halych district is connected with neighbouring districts and oblasts by a dense network of motorways. The easiest way to get here is from Lviv or Ivano-Frankivsk, using the motorway H-09 Lviv-Mukachevo or railway.

Worth visiting:

Historical places

  • Remnants of the Ancient Ruthenian city of Halych (the village of Krylos)
    In the territory, such interesting monuments are located: History museum of ancient Halych, basements of Foundation of Cathedral of Assumption of XII c. (1157) where the burial place of Yaroslav Osmomysl was found, Halychyna Grave (kurgan (mound) with a pre-Christian burial place, perhaps, of the city founder), Kniazha Krynytsia (Prince's Well) (a mineral spring that supplied Halych with water), Church of Dormition (XVI cent.), built from the ruins of the Cathedral, and Chapel of St. Basil the Great (XV cent.), built on the foundation of the Cathedral.
    Ordering excursions: +38 (03431) 2-16-63, 2-30-09
  • Hillfort and rock monastery of the late Middle Ages, the village of Mezhyhirtsi

Places of worship

  • Church of the Nativity of Jesus (XIII-XV cent.), the city of Halych
  • Сhurch of St. Panteleymon (XII cent.) with a belfry, the village of Shevchenkove
  • Carmelite Catholic Сhurch (XVII cent.) with a monastery complex, 7 Ivana Franka Street, Bilshivtsi
  • Catholic Сhurch (1732), the village of Kukilnyky
  • Karaim cemeteries in the city of Halych, Zamkova Street and in the village of Zalukva

Architectural monuments

  • Town Hall and the Kshechunovychi Palace (XVIІІ cent.), the urban village of Bilshivtsi
  • Ruins of the Yablonski Castle (XVIІ cent.), the town of Mariyampil
  • Starostynsky Castle (1367-1658, ruins), the city of Halych
Important information:
ServiceAddressPhone number
Halych District Council1 Voli Square, Halych +38 (03431) 2-16-73
Pharmacies19 Konovaltsia Street, Halych+38 (03431) 2-14-89, 2-15-12
 14 Rizdva Square, Halych+38 (03431) 2-10-83
Round-the-clock pharmacy — in the district hospital3 Yaroslava Osmomysla Street, Halych  
District hospital3 Yaroslava Osmomysla Street, Halych+38 (03431) 2-11-69, 2-13-38
Post office11 Rizdva Square, Halych+38 (03431) 2-13-91
Telephone number information service +38 (034) 991-09-11
 
  • Halych tourism centre
    39 Lvivska Street, Halych
    +38 (03431) 2-29-87, (050) 373-98-88
  • Halych tourist information centre
    Rizdva Square, Halych
    +38 (03431) 2-31-08
Photos
 The bell tower of the church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village
 Church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.) with a bell tower, Shevchenkove village 
 Church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village
 Church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village
 The entrance to the church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village  
 The interior of the church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village  
 Ancient wall inscriptions in the church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village  
 Ancient wall inscriptions in the church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village  
 Ancient wall inscriptions in the church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village  
 Ancient wall inscriptions in the church of St. Panteleimon (12th cen.), Shevchenkove village 
 Church of the Holy Trinity (18th-19th cent.), Burshtyn town
 Church of the Holy Trinity (18th-19th cent.), Burshtyn town
 The sign which shows the way to the museum of Prykarpattya Folk Architecture and Life, Krylos village
Shops
Museums
Sights