The Nature Reserve «Gorgany» was found in September 12, 1996. It occupies the area of 5344,2 ha.
It was created to preserve the relic cembra pine (Pinus cembra), as well as to preserve the mountain landscapes of the central part of the Ukrainian Carpathians, and, also for the scientific research, the environmental and educational activities.
Pnivsky castle (now only its ruins) is located near the town of Nadvirna. It was built in the 2nd half of the XVI c. by Kuropatvy family. The castle served as an important fort post during the Polish-Turkish war of the XVIІ c.
During the national liberation war of 1648-1654 the fortress was besieged by the army led by Semen Vysochan. In the XVIII c. the castle became the property of the Austrian state, by and by it began to decline. But even today it continues to be an interesting fortification complex.