The museum is situated in the architectural monument of XVIII сentury — the former metropolitan residence. Jaroslav Pasternak, the archeologist, and Andrey Sheptytsky, the metropolitan, are the authors of the museum's idea.
In 1937 Jaroslav Pasternak opened an interesting exhibition at St. Vasyl Chapel (XV с.). The most interesting and original articles found during excavations near Halych, were displayed there. It was the beginning of the museum. Since 1965 the archeological reseaches became more intensive. The ramparts of ХІІ–ХІІІ с., the foundations of Assumption Church of ХІІ с., St. Vasyl Chapel and the church of Assumption of XVI с. were given under the state protection. The metropolitan residence was reconsructed.
The museum exposition contains various archeological and architectural articles. They prove the fact that Halych was a powerful religious and state center of the time.