Łańcut was established in the XIVth century by Casimir the Great. In 1349 it gained the city rights according to Magdeburg law, one of the most common legal systems of the municipal government in Central Europe in the Middle Ages. The town got its name owing to the German colonists from the locality of Landshut, which is situated within modern administrative borders of Bavaria. In 1918-1921s, during the Polish-Soviet War, the prison camp for the staff of Ukrainian Galician Army, Army of the Ukrainian People's Republic and interned civilians from the Eastern Galicia was created in Łańcut.

After signing the Treaty of Riga, between RSFSR, UNR and Poland, people located in the camp were: internees of the 5th Kherson Division of Colonel A. Doluda, reserve army units of Cornet General N. Nykoniv, Joint Youth School (400 students) of Cornet General M. Shapoval, separate border corps of Cornet General O. Pulkevych, and many civilians. Despite critical restrictions of freedom and poor living conditions, the Ukrainian cultural and educational life was organized in the camp. There functioned: Ukrainian People's university (about 600 students) led by Professors I. Ohienko, І. Svientsitsky, О. Kolessa, V. Shchurat, Generals S. Dyadyusha, І. Martynyuk and others; gymnasium, library, literary and art circles. Also the chorus of sotnik D. Kotko (later became world famous) was created in the camp. Owing to the efforts of writers such as M. Voronyi, Y. Malaniuk, V. Bidnov and others, the publications of camp newspapers "Nasha Zoria", "Promin'" and "Budiak" were organized.

The most prominent historical and architectural sight of Łańcut is Lubomirski's and Potocki's Castle. Construction of the castle was launched in 1629-1641s by Stanisław Lubomirski, one of the magnates of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. Later the building was surrounded by fortifications with bastions at the corners and deep ditches. Resulting in a palace within a fortress (palazzo in fortezza), it successfully stood the Swedish invasion in 1655 and Rakoczy assault in 1657.

In the late XVIIIth — early XIXth centuries the castle was rebuilt as a magnate's residence, resembling a palace. The interior was decorated with stucco, paintings and sculptures. Also the park near the building was enlarged and the greenhouse was built. In the postwar period one of the largest and richest museums of interior was arranged here. The palace complex is surrounded by the English style old, picturesque park. One of the biggest collections of carriages and chariots of Poland and Europe is located in the building of stable and coach yard from late XIXth — early XXth centuries. Łańcut Castle hosts numerous important cultural, scientific and social events, often of international level. The most popular event which annually takes place there is a festival of classical music.

Worth seeing:

Sacred architecture and cemeteries

  • Dominican monastery (XVth century)
  • Jewish cemetery (XVIIth century)
  • Synagogue (1761)
  • Parish church of St. Stanislaus Bishop (1569, 1624, 1896-1900)

Other architectural sights

  • Architectural ensemble of Market Square (XVII-XIXth centuries)
  • Lubomirski's and Potocki's Castle (1629-1641)
  • Plebania (1841-1846)


  • Museum of Distillation, Kolejowa St. 1