The first written record of Sanok in Ipatiev Chronicle dates back to 1150, when Geisa, the King of Hungary, crossed the Carpathians and annexed this place to his territorial possessions. In 1339, almost in 200 years, Sanok was given the Magdeburg law by Boleslaw-Yuri II and became a significant commercial and manufacturing centre in the south-eastern part of Poland. Historically it was the first Ukrainian town to receive the Magdeburg law. Since the midst of the XIVth century Sanok belonged to Poland and was a centre of Sanok Land as a part of Rus County. In 1668-1675 Przemyśl bishop Antoni Winnicki lived here (since that time Przemyśl bishops started to use the supplement 'Sanok' to their title). Since 1772 Sanok was a part of Austria as a district city and later as a county of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria with its capital in Lviv. During the existence of the Second Polish Republic (1918-1939) Sanok used to be a centre of the county in Lviv Voivodeship.

Geographically the town is located among the picturesque landscapes over the valley of the river San, at the foothills of the Salt Mountains and Bukowsko lowland. Nowadays Sanok is actively developing as a popular tourist centre of Subcarpathian Voivodeship and has a large number of interesting objects worth sightseeing and a well-developed tourist infrastructure. There are numerous objects of the sacred architecture, Zaleski house, Town Hall etc.

One of the most popular tourist attractions in Sanok is medieval royal castle, built in the period of XIVth-XVth centuries. Inside the fortification building there is a historical museum, which exhibits the largest collection of religious icons and the collection of works of the outstanding Polish painter Zdzisław Beksiński. Another popular tourist attraction here is the Museum of Folk Architecture. This museum is one of the most visited in the entire Subcarpathian Voivodeship.

In the suburbs of Sanok there lie several interesting walking and cycling trails, in particular, 'Good Soldier Schweik's Trail'. Tourists are attracted to Sanok by the well-developed sports and tourist infrastructure. There are numerous tourist attractions, including artificial speed-skating ice rink, two stadiums and ski lift in the neighbouring Karlików. Annually the festivals are held here, such as the Adam Didur Vocal Music Week, Folk Festival 'Eurofolk on the Borderlands' and numerous food and traditional fairs.

Worth seeing:

Sacred architecture

  • Greek Catholic church of St. Dimitri (1867)
  • St. Nicholas wooden church (1667)
  • Church of the Transfiguration (XIXth century)
  • Holy Trinity cathedral (1784-1789)
  • Franciscan monastery and church (XVIIth century)

Fortifications and palaces

  • Zaleski house (1896-1910)
  • Ramerówka (XIXth century)
  • Sanok Royal castle (XIVth-XVth centuries)

Other sights of architecture and history

  • House of the city guard attached to the castle (XVIIIth century)
  • Building of 'Sokół' sport society (1900)
  • Mansionarski house (1750-1775)
  • Town Hall (XIXth century)


  • Historical museum, Zamkowa St. 2
  • Museum of Folk Architecture, Traugutta St. 3