Lesco is located near the valley of San, in the area where the ridges of Sanok-Turczan mountains stretch. Untill 1931 the town had a Ukrainian name Lisco. In 1972-1975 the town was an administrative centre of Bieszczady County, later it belonged to Krosno Voivodeship, up to the administrative-territorial reform which took place on January 1, 1999.
In 1939-1941 and 1944-1945 the town was a part of USSR and was a district centre of Lyskiv district, Drohobych region (Ukrainian town Drohobych was its centre at that time). In March, 1945 according to the Polish-Soviet treaty, Bircza district with its district centre in the village of Bircza and Lesco district with its district centre in the town of Lesco, the western part of Przemyśl (with Przemyśl city) was transferred from Drohobych region to the territorial possessions of Poland.
The Ruins of Sobieski Castle are situated at the top of a steep mountain which is located on the right bank of the river San. The historians found that the construction of the fortification dates back to the second half of the XIVth century. It belonged to the powerful knight's Kmita family. Today only fragments of the castle walls remained on the hill. Later Kmita family moved their main estate to Lesco. There at the end of the XVIth century Piotr Kmita built a new castle, which was later extended by the representatives of Stadnicki's family. Today there is a holiday house 'Castle', located inside the building of Lesko Castle.
Among other historical and cultural attractions of Lesko, the Town Hall is worth mentioning, which got its current appearance in 1894. From the Sacred architecture attractive for tourists there are: the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary church, built in 1539 and rebuilt in 1760 and 1889, and also Synagogue (1626-1654). Besides, the Jewish cemetery is considered to be an interesting sight of the Jewish culture in the town, where the first burial dates back to 1611.