Shatsk is located in Polissya among the lakes Chorne Velyke, Lyucymer and Svityaz — three out of Shatsk lakes.
Shatsk was first mentioned in 1410 when the king of Poland Vladyslav Jagajlo (Jagello) sent his armies to the forests of Shatsk to provide the game for military purposes for the war with Teutonic Order.
The village had a favourable geographical location on the trade route between Volodymyr and Brest. Since XVth century it has been a part of Lyuboml parish and belonged to Chelm Land.
The lustration of Lyuboml district for 1564 shows that there were 18 houses and 123 inhabitants in Shatsk village. There also was a castle farm (so-called 'filvarok'), located 5 miles from the village where local citizens served their duties.
In 1595 Shatsk was already mentioned in the documents as a small town. Till 1788 its name remained Shechko. After the Third Partition of Poland in 1795 the territory of Volyn and Shatsk was fully annexed to the Russian Empire. Shatsk is a witness of the fights between the Russian army and Napoleon's troops.
In Soviet times the village was famous for its cannery and collective farm which cultivated fiber flax — 'Polissya silk'.
The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located in Shatsk. It was constructed in 1830-1839. The temple is unique and original: its architectural composition, characteristic for the religious buildings of the XVIIIth century, is interpreted in classic forms and details instead of Baroque style.
During archaeological excavations in 2009-2013 on the eastern outskirts of Shatsk, on the high coast of Lyucymer lake in Hora tract (on the maps - Sad) the remnants of the ancient city Raj were found there. The monument belongs to stizh hillforts, the main feature of which is the absence of walls and ditches and the presence of bulk escarp that dominates the surrounding flat landscape. The oldest findings date back to V-IV centuries BC. The town or Raj is mentioned twice in Ipatiev chronicle in 1255 and 1287. This is the place where Duke Volodymyr Vasylkovych composed his testament. Archeologists found a significant number of trade lead seals with the symbols of Rurik dynasty, and a copper ring with the prince's sign-trident in the flourished form. On the basis of this ring, Shatsk modern coat of arms was developed and approved by the village council.
Nowadays Shatsk village is known as a resort and recreational centre. Several cafes, shops, a cultural centre, a cinema, a musical school and a sports school which trains athletes in rowing function there today. Shatsk Forest College is also well-known: forest masters and huntsmen for different regions of Ukraine are trained and taught there. The population of the village is over 5 700. Hryada Tract in Shatsk on the bank of Svityaz lake has become a large recreational area. Around 100 recreation centres of various enterprises and private hotels are located there.
Winter is not a quiet season in Shatsk as well — fishing enthusiasts, skiers and skaters enjoy themselves here.