The complex of the Bernardine Monastery includes the church of the Holy Cross and the buildings of cells. The complex is a national architectural monument.
The former church of the Holy Cross is one of the oldest churches in the city. It was given to the Convent of Bernadines in the mid. of the XVII c. In 1721 a new stone monastery building was constructed. The church construction was finished in 1789. Architect Paul Hizhytsky is the author of the project.
In the II half of the XIX c. the complex was given over to the Orthodox city community. At that time the church was rebuilt a little — the bell-tower and the central cupola were added. In 1889 the church became an Orthodox Cathedral.
The complex atrracts the visitors by its original composition — it is located on the hill over the valley of Styr river. The bulging side of the monastery building is directed to the old road to the city. The church is in the inner semicircle of the monastery. The main facade of the church changed its baroque features into combination of the baroque and classical ones. The interior resembles a Roman-Catholic church. The upper gallery for the organ and side ambon have preserved. There are eight small altars in the church. The wall paintings are remarkable for their bright and light colours.
The two-tier golden oak iconostasis of the XIX c., made in pseudo-Russian style, attracts attention, too.
The Cathedral has the so-called lower church located in the crypt. Sometimes it serves for a mess.
Today it is the Orthodox Cathedral of St. Trinity. The former monastery buildings house various commercial and state organizations.
The cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul together with the Jesuit collegium are national monuments of architecture. The complex was built for the Jesuits. Today the building of the former collegium serves as a school, and the church is now the Roman-Catholic Cathedral.
The construction of the church began in 1610 in baroque style under the guidance of Giacomo Briano, an Italian architect. After the fire of 1781 the church was rebuilt, and it got the elements of classicism.
The unique attraction of the temple is several tiered dungeons. They are likely to have been connected to the Lubart's Castle, or to have been a part of the extensive system of underground labyrinths under the old city.
The interior of the church is famous for its rich decorations: paintings, memorial plagues, ancient furniture, sculpture, etc.
During the soviet time the church served as a utility structure, later — as a museum. Since 1990 it is the Roman-Catholic cathedral. Its dungeons are open for visitors.
The architectural complex of Lutsk Orthodox Fraternity includes the church of the Exaltation of the Cross and the monastery building. The complex was constructed during 1630-1640. For a long time it used to be the political center of the Volyn Orthodox population. But at the turn of the XVII—XVIII с. the fraternity began to decline. Together with it the architectural complex began to come to decay, too.
In the XVIII c. it suffered from fires, and in the XIX c. the church was almost completely destroyed — the modern church is now only the former altar of the former large church. The monastery now has practically its original look.
Today the monastery is used partly as a dwelling-house. The church was reconsructed and is used now by the Volyn Regional Fraternity of St. Andrew. The church has the wooden iconostasis with carving and gilding dated back to the XIX c.
The interior of the church was repainted in the 2000-s.
The Dominican Monastery in Lutsk was founded in in the late XIV с. It was a single one for a long time in Lutsk, besides, the monastery served as a defense, spiritual, charitable, intellectual and cultural center of Lutsk.
The first complex was built in the gothic style, the second one — in the classic style. Now only the remnants of the church can be seen. The monastery building serves as an Orthodox seminary with the church of St. Cyril and Methodius.
Lutsk fortress in old times included the Upper Castle and the Okolny (Roundabout) one. The Upper Castle or the Lubart's Castle is the national architectural and historic monument. It is considered to be one of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine. Today it is the main tourist attraction within the historic and cultural preserve 'Ancient Lutsk'.
Constructed by Dmytro Lubart, the last Great Prince of the Galicia-Volyn Principality, in 1340-1389, the Castle became his residence. Later the Castle became the favourite place for Vitovt, the Great Prince of Lithuania.
For centuries Lutsk Upper Castle remained the huge fortress. It was the administrative, political and spiritual capital of the region.
Today the Castle complex includes the Entrance Tower, the Vladycha Tower and the Styr Tower, connected by fortification walls; the House of noble Courts (XVIII); the county treasury (early XIX) and remnants of the Cathedral of John the Apostle (XII) and remnants of the prince's palace (XIV-XVI).
There are several exhibitions represented in some castle rooms.
There is also a tourist route around the basements of the Lubart's Castle.
The Order of St. Bridget was the first female Catholic order in Lutsk. In the early XVII с. Izabella Semashko, the wife of the Volyn cornet, invited the Order to Lutsk. In 1624 Albrecht Radziwill handed his palace over to the order.
Given like a present, the palace had to be reconstructed into the monastery cells. The church had to be built, too. In 1642 the church of St. Bridget was built in the baroque style, the palace was reconstructed, too.
In 1879 the order of St. Bridget was abolished. And soon, in 1890, the building was reconstructed for the police department and the prison. All the decorations were destroyed, the second floor was added. Lutsk prison was located in the monastery buildings, and the church served as the prison chapel.
Now the premises stand empty and need repair. The part of the monastery buildings serves as an Orthodox monastery. There also several private offices here.
The Trinitarians came to Lutsk in 1717, and they got the church of St. Michael that dates back to the XV c.
Later they built the Roman-Catholic church of St. Michael and St. Paul on its place. The church was sanctified in 1729.
Both the interior of the church and monastery were decorated with wall paintings of Joseph Prehtl, the artist, a member of the order. There was also a collegium where philosophy, theology, grammar and other subjects were studied. The collegium had its own library.
The church and the monastery created a magestic baroque architectural complex.
But in the I half of the XIX c. the church was rebuilt in the style of classicism. And after the entry of Volyn to the Russian Empire the order's situation only worsened. In 1869 the government decided to disassemble the church for building materials. And the regional court was located in the monastery.
Today only the monastery has preserved. It serves now as a military hospital.
Address: Lutsk, Senator Levchanivska (Medvedyev) St. 4
The Great Synagogue with the defensive tower is a national architectural monument.
It was built in 1620-s in one of the Jewish quarters of Lutsk. During the long period the Synagogue served as a religious, educational and public center of the local Jews. At the same time it also was a defensive structure.
In 1942 the temple was partly destroyed. In 1970-s it was renovated a little, and now it serves as a sports club.
Some investigators think that the church of the Intercession was built in the early XIV с. It was a part of the city fortifications.
The fire of 1803 caused considerable damage to the temple — the roof was destroyed, partially the dome was burned. The church was rebuilt for several times, especially after the damage of 1944.
Anti-religious campaign in the early 1960's led to substantial losses: a few ancient icons of Volyn school were confiscated, and, among them — the Volyn Icon of the Mother of God.
Since 1992 it is an Orthodox Cathedral.